This is a reply to both Stuart Henderson and Gregor Best.

> This one is easy, simply set the appropriate permissions on the
> directory where you mount the mfs.

Will do.

> [...] it's assumed that the relevant support is compiled into the
> kernel [...]

I understand. Than it would be a matter of mentioning for "every" man
page whether the respective feature is supported by the GENERIC kernel.
Since this can be investigated when in doubt (or asking the mailing
list), it's not necessary to include this information in the man pages.

> I don't know about the specifics of telling chrome to cache in
> /tmp/chrome, but FWIW, I have a 2G MFS mounted to ~/.cache. It seems to
> work fine that way.

Good idea. If it doesn't work with /tmp, I'll try it this way.

Thank you both for the valuable answers.