I recall having to do this as well (in fact, as mentioned earlier
in this thread):

> doas chmod 777 /tmp

If I understood Stuart Henderson correctly, then

> This one is easy, simply set the appropriate permissions
> on the directory where you mount the mfs.

implies that irrespective of what is mounted at /location,
the permissions are inherited from /location. But in the "mfs
at /tmp"scenario, this thesis is contradicted, as (e.g.)

 /dev/sd0f /tmp ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2

will yield the desired 777 permissions on /tmp, whereas

 swap /tmp mfs rw,noexec,nodev,nosuid,-s=512m 0 0

will require manual adjustment via chmod.

So it appears that I have not quite understood this final part.
Would anyone be kind enough to elaborate on this?
What is the difference in inheriting permissions when mounting
an mfs instance vs. (e.g.) an ffs filesystem?