Hi Nick,

Nick Holland wrote:
So far, with one or two exceptions, everyone complaining about this has
a One Big Partition disk layout.  A bad idea, not suggested, and I don't
think you will get much sympathy.

yes of course (TM).. I won't get much sympathy, but it is the best set-up for a dual-booting laptop it works for every OS I test and worked until 6.3 for me. For other set-ups I use different partitioning schemes, but I suppose in the past twenty years or so, we all had our issues with disk layouts.

I know of one machine that behaves as you describe with a very modest
(smaller than suggested) root partition, but I'm feeling very alone
here. :D

what is the actual size limit? from where? I wonder that I cannot even boot the old kernel which worked.. at the previous boot!

I cannot shuffle the partitions, I cannot even reinstall from scratch, since I am unable to boot from an USB key with the installer image, it crashes both the 6.4 installer image as the old 6.3.

All important data is backed up, but I need to reinstall at least and cennot even do that. Of course booting abd being able to copy a last snapshot of my home directory would be even best, to retain my profiles.

Should I try boot from optical media? could that help? I suppose not...

Thanks,

Riccardo