Hi,

Joel Sing wrote:
The specific "heap full" issue that can be triggered by using a single large
partition is not likely to be at fault here - if you cannot boot the ramdisk
(bsd.rd/installer) for 6.3 or 6.4 from a USB key, then something else is
presumably up (unless you're actually trying to load the installed kernel or
ramdisk from the hard disk).

some time passed, but I have new information.
Essentially, booting from USB key proved sometimes unreliable. I burned a CD-CDROM and am able to do the following
- boot from cd and at the bootload prompt
- "bood hd0a:bsd"

and boot into a fully working 6.4 installation.

This is of course a little cumbersome as a workaround. Can I fix it?

I attempted to install "biosboot" of 6.3: I extracted 6.3, used 6.4 installboot to install mdec/biosboot from 6.3
It does not help though.

What else could I try, given that the bootloader of the CD appears to work fine?

Riccardo