On Thu, Apr 04, 2019 at 11:42:15AM +0000, Cord wrote:
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.
>=20

fox (and epiphany for the webmail) and I have opened some (1 or 2) pdf from=
 a command shell. After the installation I have always used a vpn from a ve=
ry secure vpn provider, I think that this provider is impossible to tried t=
o hack his client. I use a vpn to browse the internet because I often use u=
ntrusted wifis. At this point, after 1 month I have started to suspect a br=
eak in because private message seem to be know from others. I started to se=
arch a rootkit and I found signs of hacking in ssh connection of my vps. I =
mean, a tor exit node was connected to the ssh vps with my ssh key. Then, b=
ecause my key was been exfiltrated  then my desktop was been hacked. But I =
repeat the problem is not the server (vps). The problem is the desktop and =
how the key was been exfiltrated. Then I deleted everything (also the vps) =
and I reinstalled openbsd on my desktop, I changed vpn provider and I start=
ed to use chrome+unveil, again private message seem known from other... I s=
earch again and I found webmail session opened but I am sure I have logout =
everytime. If the webmail session is opened and you have the session cookie=
 you can browse my email. Then this is an other signs of rootkit or somethi=
ng. Then I have written to misc.
>=20
> Now the answer to your email.
> I think the only way they have break in is through the browser. Chrome. A=
s I sad I haven't used script to connect to internet (based for example on =
curl) or I haven't opened pdf outside the browser (in this second installat=
ion of the desktop). I started to use unveil 1 or 2 days after the install.=
 As I said I use epiphany to connect to the webmail and only to the webmail=
=2E About forensic I have asked on this mailing list how to use pkg_check f=
rom a live environment on the infected system but none has answered.
> https://marc.info/?l=3Dopenbsd-misc&m=3D155404594328762&w=3D2
>=20
> An other way could be an openbsd mirror compromise.. I don't think so but=
 I don't know.
> Cord

Hi,

You could try a few things after changing your SSH keys.

1. store SSH keys somewhere else than $HOME/.ssh, I do this
2. run chrome or firefox as another user so that someone who breaks out of =
the
webbrowser can't get to the ssh keys (I used to do this but it had problems
with pasting, so I gave up).
3. keyphrasing your keys is important I think.

It's helpful to be paranoid about these things.  Also what sort of threat is
against you?  There are said to be 4 categories of threats..=20
government, corporate, hacker, script kiddie.  Do you have enemies anywhere?
I know from snowden that the NSA has a "I hunt sysadmins" program, I don't
think I can do much about that though, they are said to have QUANTUM comput=
ers.
Are you a sysadmin and thus a target of government hacking?

Regards,
-peter