@ Steve

>  One point I didn't see in RFC's post is stability. When I used OpenBSD
>  back in 2010, subjectively it seemed more stable, more consistent, and
>  less surprising than any Linux I'd ever used (and of course than any
>  Windows I'd ever used). If my computer were just for web browsing,
>  social networking, email, and storing photos and videos, Ubuntu or Mint
>  would be stable enough. But the way I work, I often have over 50
>  windows open. I can't afford the massive instability bestowed by "we do
>  it all for you" user interfaces.

This is also true. In my experience with Gnome, KDE, et. al., these
fancy configuration menus and wizards generally wind up being leaky
abstractions. Writing a simple format into /etc/hostname.if has in my
experience had far fewer caveats than NetworkManager or nm-applet. I had
mostly addressed stability in terms of UI/UX design, but in the broader
software quality meaning of the word it's a good point.

I would be fine with using a fancy tool to configure everything... if it
worked and was consistent. So far the only such tool I've found to
deliver on that (actually functioning and being consistent) is OpenBSD's
/etc/.