On May 22, 2019 6:05 PM, Chris Zakelj <c.zak...@ieee.org> wrote:

> When I set my 4801 up years and years ago, I did it by using an IDE>CF
> adapter on an old Athlon system I had hanging around rather than messing
> around with virtual images, PXE booting, or the like.  The Geode processor
> is roughly equivalent to a Pentium II, so use i386 images.  Past that, from
> my notes I have the console being set for 9600bps and vt220, and
> \etc\boot.conf
> set tty com0
>
> On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 2:08 PM Alberto Mijares <amijar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I'm new on this list. Greetings everyone.
> >
> > Here is my case:
> >
> > I installed OpenBSD on a 4GB Flash Card by attaching the card to a
> > Bhyve VM as a "ahci-hd" custom drive. Then, booted the VM and disabled
> > a few of services. Also disabled kernel and libs randomization, since
> > it's not needed and the Soekris couldn't handle it. At the end, only
> > sshd, syslogd and ntpd are starting and and 73MB or RAM remain free.
> > Finally, I created a /etc/hostname.sis1 file with proper network
> > configuration, since the device name in the VM is not the same of the
> > interface of the Soekris.
> >
> > Now I should say: the serial console is not working for me, for some
> > reason I cannot get it working. I see garbage in the screen with all
> > possible combinations of speeds and other terminal configs.
> >
> > When I plug the CF in the Soekris, it won't boot properly. I think the
> > kernel is loaded and hangs at some point. Can't tell where, as
> > explained before. I know the boot is not finishing because I created a
> > /etc/rc.local in it doesn't do anything.
> >
> > I tried to edit /etc/fstab and change sd disk interface for wd. Not
> > working either.
> >
> > I also tried the bsd.rd but I'm not sure if I get a prompt or it also
> > hangs.
> >
> > Ideally, I would boot the Soekris and wait for network initialization
> > for connecting via SSH. Any suggestion?
> >
> > The only thing I haven't tried is the bsd.mp kernel, now that I think.
> > I'll give it a try and will be waiting for your feedback in the
> > meantime.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >

> > Alberto Mijares

I tried doing the virtual image thing with mine and couldn't get it to work. I
ended up doing the same. You can get cf to USB adapters fairly cheap. And did
the initial install with my laptop then logged in and fixed the networking
stuff. I later did a fresh install over pxe using the laptop as the ftpd
server. This also worked well. I don't remember what it is but I had to disable
something in the kernel for it to boot up after install. Don't judge me but
mine is still running 6.2 because I'm too lazy to find it so I can upgrade.

Edgar