‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Friday, September 6, 2019 12:26 PM, Péter Bertalan Zoltán
<bertalan...@bertalanp99.eu> wrote:

> Mohamed salah mohamed.a.sala...@gmail.com [2019-08-28 16:32:29 +0200]:
>
> > I wanna put something in discussion, what's your motivational to use
> > OPENBSD what not other bsd's what not gnu/Linux, if something doesn't
> > work fine on openbsd and you love this os so much what will do?

My number 1 motivation for moving to BSDs, in particular is the system(d)
cancer in linux, what they forced down on our throats. It's a free world so you
can use whatever OS you want.

I'm using OpenBSD since 4.x but only for servers and I loved it's clean design
even at the 2.6 linux kernel series distros were a mess with tons of files (X
server, extra libs, bloatware configs in etc) then imagine it Today when a
basic Ubuntu installation with Gnome installs 8GB garbage or more on your hdd
with so many security vulns in apps you have no idea what is installed anymore
(70% you will pbly never use).

I was a hardcore Debian fan since potato with 2.2 kernel but since their recent
decisions at Jessie with replacing the init system with that crapware made me
uncomfortable using Debians. You can still remove it in Stretch but there are
bloatware components which stay on your system even after and you cant remove
it like systemd-udevd, and with Deb10 dropping the old init system it's clear
to me Debian is going to the wrong direction and it is not a system I
personally want to use anymore.

However OpenBSD and the other BSDs are still behind Linuxes in a lot of areas:
eg multimedia, virtualization, hw compatibility. For example I use Vmware for
tons of stuff, this is a product I don't want to abandon, will Vmware
workstaion be supported on Obsd, pbly not so Obsd is a no go for me on my
desktop computer and laptop but on my servers I systematically replace Debian
and other linux based servers with BSD based ones.

When I do these migrations I always go with OpenBSD first and only choose
another BSD if there is something OpenBSD can't do or not that good at doing
for example:

-fileserver: obvious choice FreeBSD with ZFS
-mysql server, sorry if I'm wrong but using the exact same virtualization
platform I always get degraded DB performance compared to fbsd or nbsd so I
prefer using those for Mysql server
-gitlab: have you ever tried to install this on any BSD, kinda nightmare when
it's a 1 click installer on a Debian system
-virtualization: already mentioned the lack of vmware support but does obsd
support anything at all except its own vmm like virtualbox, I dont think so..
-multimedia: does it support kodi, I don't think so
-arm platforms compatibility: raspberry pi, orange pi, banana pi these all run
linux fine, bsds are either unsupported or you can put it on with some hack,
half of the stuff doesn't work and they even segfault
-gaming on it: forget it
...list would go on...

So OpenBSD and the other BSDs have a lot to improve but they are great reliable
and secure server platforms.