Hi,

I want to use 2 soekris as redundant bridge filter, but I have many troubles.

I installed on soekris with 128 Mo SANDISK and a stock version of 3.8.
I modify the setup to have a readonly root, 2 mfs partitions (dev, var), syslog to buffer and to remote loghost. Everything runs nice.

Every servers I have have at least 2 nics.
I connect each server to 2 switchs, and the switchs together.
And for the moment only one switch has an uplink to my provider.
I will have (soon) a second link to the second switch.

I want to test the soekris as a bridge with 3 links: one to my provider, one to each switch.

I start the test by setting a bridge on 2 nics of the soekris connected to the 2 switchs. So now there is a loop between the switchs and the soekris.

And the first problem appears. If I ping from any computers on the segment to anything else I get a "storm" of thousand packet/seconds until I unplug a cable from the loop.
So I test with/without STP, link0: no more luke.

Second part of the test, I set up a bridgename.bridge0 file with the 2 nics up with STP, and I restart the soekris. Few seconds after the end of the boot (login prompt) immediate reboot of the soekris. I stop it by, as soon as login prompt appears, to log in and put down the bridge.

In fact, each time all the cables is connected to have a loop, in the 15 seconds I put up the bridge the box reboots (may be the same delay as to start forwarding packet). But if I put up the bridge with only one cable and put the second ones after not much problems.
In fact sometimes when there is a big storm the soekris reboots too.

I add asked Henning at EuroBSDCon'2005 about this, and he says to me that if I could avoid this setup (bridge) and use a router: this is the way to go.

OK. But My provider gives me a block of 256 IPs with two gateways and before asking him for something else I would like to know what I can do.

May be the new coming version 3.9 have some new stuff. I do not know.
Any help to have a running setup is welcomed, and to debug the unexpected reboot.

Cordialement,
Jean-Girard Pailloncy