Fluxbox 4 ever.

I use Fluxbox on all platforms Debian, Ubuntu, OpenBSD, FreeBSD since more than
10 years. It has all the functionality I will ever need and fits into a slick
20MB binary. Who needs 4-5GB gnome/kde crapware deeply tied into systemD, soon
you will not even be able to use those VMs at all without wayland and systemd.

My setup is:

-transparent aterms
-tmux for splitting them
-xrandr for switching between laptop screen or when I plug in external docking
station with 3 monitors
-tilda: nice quake like dropdown console
-2 conky for displaying performance stats and logs (yep I throw gkrellm2 long
ago)

and then the usual programs can go on top.

OpenBSD+Fluxbox = great desktop experience already!