On 2020-03-04 11:38, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> Probably not what you were looking for but, back in the days when I
> was ultra paranoid about my web browsing, I used to use stripped down
> live usb installations of Linux distros (DSL was one of them that I
> remember). I ignore if OpenBSD comes with such a solution out the box,
> but I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to make your own read-only
> install. Then, you could either reboot from it or run it through an
> emulator.

A live cd is read-only and is also something I did for a while in my teenage
years. Knoppix, Insert were examples and STD was another aptly named one as it
contains outdated tools that really need to be upto date, otherwise they can do
more harm than good. Scarily it is still downloadable and quite a dangerous but
equally interesting learning tool. Comes with mozilla firebird that starts super
fast and uses twenty something meg of ram, lol. There was also a guide to build
your own OpenBSD live cd with X/packages.

However, considering OpenBSD replaces it's whole base every upgrade with signed
binaries, then you get all of that for free. You can even double check the bios
with flashrom (less so on laptops), bootloader, signing keys, packages etc., if
you want to.

If this effort is really worth it, then it probably makes more sense than
trusting someone else to package up a usb linux distro or CD.