On Sat, Mar 07, 2020 at 11:03:10AM -0600, Amit Kulkarni wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How does this show itself?
>
> I have an older 2013 era system with Pentium G2020 or so (going from
> memory here, so might be wrong), which does not go into OpenBSD
> install. Just sits there with Dell logo. Only takes a Ctrl-Alt-Del
> command for a reboot, and if I try to enter into BIOS, it does not. It
> does not come into the OpenBSD boot prompt.
>
> I am trying to decide if this is due to the above changes or something
> else, like hardware failure etc. I last installed a snapshot on it 3
> days ago, and it has never come back up. Should I try to pull the boot
> hard drive into another running system, and then manually try to copy
> over a clean /bsd.mp on the next snapshot?
>
> thanks
>
> On Sat, Mar 7, 2020 at 9:20 AM Otto Moerbeek <o...@drijf.net> wrote:
> >
> > It looks like some BIOS do not like the recent biosboot changes.
> > Symptoms are a hang in the bios.
> >
> > I reverted them, the next amd64 snap should be ok again.
> >
> >         -Otto

Yes, this sounds very much like the issue I'm talking about.

Updating the kernel will not help. The problem is in some bad
interaction between *some* BIOS implementations and the updated
biosboot.

It is very likely that the disk will boot in another system without
issues. On that system, install the new snap when it arrives. Then you
can put the disk back in the problem system.

There are probably workarounds, like putting the disk in another
system and running an older installboot from that system on the disk
containing the trouble.  But if you do not feel comfortable doing that
please do an upgrade.

And next time please try to report this earlier. The sooner we learn
about these issues the better.

        -Otto