On 2006/03/14 00:01, Ramiro Aceves wrote:
> When I first discover OpenBSD after some years using Linux, I got in
> love with it, I liked its philosophy very much, its correctness, its
> documentation, the way the kernel boots, Everything is where you spect
> it to be.

Follow the cvs-changes and ports-changes mailing lists for a while and
you'll see what is involved with this. It doesn't take long to notice
that this doesn't just require skill, it also requires a lot of time,
effort, and attention to detail.

> Sometimes linux is a mess.

No surprise that apps written primarily for Linux sometimes follow the
same philosophy. Often it seems that people prefer to write how-to work
around a problem than document it and report it to the people that
might be able to fix it.

> > Just before the code freeze for 3.9, for example, there was a request on
> > the OpenBSD lists to test stuff *now*. That would've been the best time
> > to try out everything you'd possibly like and report back on it. That'd
> > have ensured that the port would either be fixed or marked BROKEN in
> > time.
>
> Yes, I would have liked to help, but I have not had enough free time.

It takes, what, a couple of hours to install a snapshot, set PKG_PATH
appropriately and upgrade the pre-built packages if you haven't done it
before...well under an hour real-time if you have.

For next time: With OpenBSD, running -current is quite low-risk in
the first place, running snapshots even safer. Running snapshots
in the weeks building up to a release is like running a release
candidate from many other software projects, any big problems would
be both surprising and important to report.  It seems like a simple
thing to just test and report success or failure, but a few dozen
people doing this and using sendbug or writing to ports@ or the
maintainer where appropriate really extends the number of
environments that get tested.

The OpenBSD community is small enough that *you* can make a difference.