hello,

> but note that BREs are not a strict subset of EREs

I have to admit that's the way I saw BRE so thanks a lot for noticing me.

I the same mood: I realized recently that no implementation of awk
seems to implement quantifiers which is really desapointing.

I don't realize those things that much because in many cases,
perl (with flags like -p, -n, -F, -s, -0 ) let me provide shorter
and cleaner solutions than the grep|sed|awk equivalent.

> The GNU project turned BREs and EREs into one and the same feature
> set in their implementation, just with different syntaxes, causing
> a great deal of confusion.

It would be nice to compare all those langages. I just googled and
found this:

https://gist.github.com/CMCDragonkai/6c933f4a7d713ef712145c5eb94a1816

Regards and thanks again for enlightening me today.

Marc