hello,

On Fri, Nov 17, 2023 at 07:22:57PM +0100, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> > I the same mood: I realized recently that no implementation of awk
> > seems to implement quantifiers which is really desapointing.
> Awk uses EREs, so if by quantifiers you mean {n,m}, then awk most
> certainly supports this.

I just double checked. works on OBSD as well as the other versions of
awk that are available on my debian.

        does() if $awk '/ba{3}b|ba\{3\}b/' | grep -qF baaab
                        then >&2 echo "$awk     does"
                        else >&2 echo "$awk     don't"
                fi <<-%
                baaab
                baab
                %

        for awk in gawk mawk "busybox awk"; do does
        done

which leads me to

        gawk    does
        mawk    don't