On November 24, 2023 2:48:06 PM MST, Crystal Kolipe
<kolip...@exoticsilicon.com> wrote:
>On Fri, Nov 24, 2023 at 04:01:11PM -0500, Stephen Wiley wrote:
>> I was messing with blueray a couple years ago for archiving. Last I checked
>> it's pretty marginal in terms of cost when compared with SSDs.
>
>Archiving to SSD?  You can't be serious.  I've seen more spurious unreported
>bit flips from SSDs than just about any other storage medium.  SSD would be
>beyond my last choice for long term storage of anything I cared about.

Another interesting thread.

I would never consider anything that uses semiconductor technology for long
term, archival storage.  Over 40 years ago I worked on an Intel research
project looking at the effects of Alpha particles on memory cells.  Forty years
later Alpha particles are much bigger relative to current architectures.  We
used to measure in microns, now we are at or close to sub nanometer structures.