On 11/22/23 20:31, j...@bitminer.ca wrote

For long-term storage, you have other risks to manage, not the
simple technical risk of "will my portable-USB disk be readable in
2038?".

Interfaces die - IDE interface cards? Even if you have one the ISA bus
might not be available. Parallel SCSI, parallel PCI etc.

Archiving data needs regular copy and verify to newer
formats/media/attachments and multiple copies stored multiple places.
I have files from 1982 which have survived many disasters.

Of course, there's one storage medium verified to last for centuries.
Good ink on rag paper stored dry. Papyrus is good for millenia.
Not entirely a joke.