Please guys, like I put in my original questions.

<Quote>
"I don't want this to turn into a flame war however.

If that's where it might be going, don't answer."
<Quote />

Lets stick to the essence of the question. So far I got one good answer from Ted. Not sure yet that I fully understand it, or the process of it, but I am not interested at changing licenses from the author, etc.

Bottom line is this!

If I see a GNU software that I like and the structure of it makes sense, or I think it makes sense, but I don't want to correct the bugs in it because it will stay under GNU. At what point, or how can it be replace by a BSD one where it's need at the same time to be fully compatible with the GNU one, meaning the internal structure and the interface to the world of it needs to stay the exactly the same.

How can some draw the line between be able to write your own BSD version using the same internal structures and in many cases the same function calls needed internally with the same in/out interface to the world and be able to have it under BSD instead of GNU?

Does someone needs to have module in between their own applications to the outside world that may be going away in a few years to kill the GNU link between the internal structures, etc. Obviously this add overhead that makes it not so efficients and prone to bug as well.

That's the essence of the question. I really don't care about the author right to change the licenses, if he didn't already, he/she never will do it.

But the software itself might be still worth to be BSD.

That's where I want to get the answer and the knowhow if that's even possible.

How someone can and needs to respect the license and will of the original author, but use the idea and standard use in it to make a BSD version?

How?

For anything else place just drop it. That have been beat up to death so many times, lets not make it onces more please!

That's not why I asked the question and it is sure not what I need to know either.

Many thanks for your inside on the subject if any!

Regards,

Daniel