On Apr 5, 2006, at 12:11 PM, Daniel Ouellet wrote:

If I see a GNU software that I like and the structure of it makes sense, or I think it makes sense, but I don't want to correct the bugs in it because it will stay under GNU. At what point, or how can it be replace by a BSD one where it's need at the same time to be fully compatible with the GNU one, meaning the internal structure and the interface to the world of it needs to stay the exactly the same.

How can some draw the line between be able to write your own BSD version using the same internal structures and in many cases the same function calls needed internally with the same in/out interface to the world and be able to have it under BSD instead of GNU?

The code you write is owned by you. You are free to license it however you see fit; you can release your code as BSD-licensed "patches" to the original code, but you cannot alter the license on other people's code.