Back to the original topic,

If what you are talking about is rather if you can replace some GPL
file by an equivalent one but BSD licensed file, the answer is yes (as
long as you don't copy-paste).

But what does that really mean. It sure is NOT that I can sit there and retype a printed copy of the software and then release it BSD for sure!

That's really the part I am having problem with. I am not a layers, I don't want layers discussions, etc. In practical term, how can this be done and what's the line here that makes it either BSD or GNU for stuff you write that are inspired may be from GNU? Is code, meaning moving of data, processing of data is it, but that you can still use the same data structure because it make sense and reeds to be compatible? I don't know and I am trying to find out. If you retype the same structure does it then make it GNU?

I don't know, what's the rules, how can it be done if even possible.

Like many times we see people say inspired from GNU code, but it's BSD code. What's the inspired is define at. How far does it goes?

That's my question.

The only caveat is that as long as
there is even ONE GPL file in the project, the project has to be
redistributed under the GPL as a whole.

That I understand very well. But as stated below

As for your second question, a file that is comprised of only an
'#include "shit.h"' satement should be easy enough to replace (see
Ted's suggestion) and you don't have to change the name of the file
(at least with the GPL).

So what this really mean?

Sorry guys, I also have some difficulty at time to understand the nuance of the language, so I may look think at times, not my fault. I try however. I need to understand this if only for myself, but I guess it may be useful for someone else as well.

Thanks and I am very sorry for the subject, I know this is a very sensitive subject but I really don't want this to be a battle of merit on the licenses, etc.

I am only interested on how a GNU project can become a BSD project and the process and step in getting there, if that's even possible.

Thanks

Daniel