On Fri, Oct 02, 2026 at 07:33:50AM +0200, dan wrote:
> 
> > 2. I'm EXTREMELY in search of a visual input
> > maybe a "ww" inserted somewhere in the
> > console prompt that say me if I'm
> > connected with *the main network
> > interface* I defined.
> > 
> 
> I just script the logic to change prompt string on the change of network 
> status but after I do:
> 
> export PS1='ww-etc$ '
> 
> exactly like in .profile or typing at prompt I obtain no prompt string update.
> 
> I wonder what I'm missing in my script ?

A lot.

Try this:

1. Save this script as $HOME/my_prompt and chmod to 755:

#!/bin/sh

[ "$(($RANDOM%2))" -eq 0 ] && echo ':-)' || echo ':-('

2. Now at the shell do:

$ export PS1='`$HOME/my_prompt`\$ '

Press enter a few times and you have a prompt that changes.

Replace the script above with the one that checks your network status or 
whatever.

Reply via email to