David Uhden Collado <[email protected]> wrote:
> Who would've thought that software that hasn't been updated in two
> decades will have problems with modern workflows?
>
> I maintain my own fork of OpenBSD's fvwm, so if you want to send a
> patch, I'd be happy to take it. I don't personally use fvwm, but I don't
> like seeing my own work - or other people's - thrown away, so I'm
> keeping it alive.
[...]
passive-aggressive much?

On Fri, Oct 2, 2026 at 11:20\xe2\x80\xafAM David Uhden Collado <daviduhden@gmail
.com> wrote:
>
[...]
>
> The version of fvwm in the base system is not being actively maintained.
> What I did in my fork was improve its memory handling to make it safer,

This fork has been discussd on the tech@ list:
https://marc.info/?t=176142471200001&r=1&w=2

David is tripping over his own feet somehow, and the copyright ownership
of his work cannot be ascertained.
(Yeah, I'm nobody; I just want to show the "other side of the issue,"
for the record.)

> make fairly extensive use of OpenBSD's security features, and fix the
> bugs that were already documented. I also rewrote the components that
> were still under the GPL, but that's secondary; it's just to bring this
> software into compliance with copyright policy, which stopping updates
> didn't resolve.
>
> I have not looked at the rest of the Xenocara applications, and I do not
> want to. I did this mostly because I saw something that was wrong,
> became obsessed with fixing it, and now I do not want to keep going and
> fall into the kind of obsessive loop that is typical with OCD.
>
> Otherwise, I would probably end up with a fork of every piece of
> third-party software I run on OpenBSD, which, frankly, I am often
> tempted to do and think is how it should be handled. The project
> shouldn't spend time and energy compiling garbage that is not properly
> maintained and properly integrated into the system.
>

--
 "Take my yoke on you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in
heart; and you will find rest for your souls."

Reply via email to