Quick response:

On Sun, Oct 4, 2026 at 10:05 AM David Uhden Collado
<[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Samuel wrote:
> > David Uhden Collado <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Who would've thought that software that hasn't been updated in two
> >> decades will have problems with modern workflows?
> >>
> >> I maintain my own fork of OpenBSD's fvwm, so if you want to send a
> >> patch, I'd be happy to take it. I don't personally use fvwm, but I don't
> >> like seeing my own work - or other people's - thrown away, so I'm
> >> keeping it alive.
> > [...]
> > passive-aggressive much?
> >
> > On Fri, Oct 2, 2026 at 11:20\xe2\x80\xafAM David Uhden Collado 
> > <daviduhden@gmail
> > .com> wrote:
> >>
> > [...]
> >>
> >> The version of fvwm in the base system is not being actively maintained.
> >> What I did in my fork was improve its memory handling to make it safer,
> >
> > This fork has been discussd on the tech@ list:
> > https://marc.info/?t=176142471200001&r=1&w=2
> >
> > David is tripping over his own feet somehow, and the copyright ownership
> > of his work cannot be ascertained.
>
> Well, with that kind of reasoning, I think they should remove Clang/LLVM
> from the base system because of LLVM's policy on AI use [1] and write
> their own compiler instead, since at this point you can no longer
> reliably know which code was written by a human and which was generated
> by a machine.
>
> It is a blatant double standard. By the same logic, they would also have
> to remove Linux DRM code and tmux.
>
> I am not even going to get into ports that the project builds and
> distributes, because the situation would look even more ridiculous.
>
> References:
>
> [1] https://llvm.org/docs/AIToolPolicy.html

Lower down on that page, under "Copyright":
"Using AI tools to regenerate copyrighted material does not remove the
copyright, and contributors are responsible for ensuring that such
material does not appear in their contributions."

So, after a careful read; it seems their policy doesn't advise you to
play fast and loose with copyright...
If you don't know _exactly_ how you're going to _ensure_ that
regenerated copyrighted material doesn't end up in your contributions,
maybe you shouldn't use LLM-generated code.

>
> On the other hand, I actually think it is a good policy. When I made my
> first proposed changes to FVWM, I had not tested them thoroughly enough.
> Later, I found more problems and fixed them. It was all done through
> trial and error. I knew what I did not like and what I wanted to change;
> the main goal was simply to lay the groundwork so the fork would be
> viable and would not keep inheriting technical debt from the past.
>
> That is also broadly consistent with the human-in-the-loop approach
> adopted explicitly by LLVM and, in practice, by Firefox: AI-generated
> code is allowed, but the human contributor is expected to review it,
> understand it, be able to explain it, and take responsibility for what
> they submit.
>
> > (Yeah, I'm nobody; I just want to show the "other side of the issue,"
> > for the record.)
> >
> >> make fairly extensive use of OpenBSD's security features, and fix the
> >> bugs that were already documented. I also rewrote the components that
> >> were still under the GPL, but that's secondary; it's just to bring this
> >> software into compliance with copyright policy, which stopping updates
> >> didn't resolve.
> >>
> >> I have not looked at the rest of the Xenocara applications, and I do not
> >> want to. I did this mostly because I saw something that was wrong,
> >> became obsessed with fixing it, and now I do not want to keep going and
> >> fall into the kind of obsessive loop that is typical with OCD.
> >>
> >> Otherwise, I would probably end up with a fork of every piece of
> >> third-party software I run on OpenBSD, which, frankly, I am often
> >> tempted to do and think is how it should be handled. The project
> >> shouldn't spend time and energy compiling garbage that is not properly
> >> maintained and properly integrated into the system.
> >>
> >
> > --
> >   "Take my yoke on you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in
> > heart; and you will find rest for your souls."
>

Reply via email to