Dag Richards wrote:
Marc Balmer wrote:
I live in Switzerland.  Do I give a fuckin' rats ass for US Export
Regulations?

Not care about US Export Regs?

But that just means you want the terrorists to win.
After all our President is your President right?

I think nearly everyone here is fully aware of how American influence affects the rest of the world. Using American laws as a scape goat to try and pump personal information out of developers steps right into the deep end of unreasonable legal wrangling. Hifn should realize that their target market is interested in keeping information safe and private, rather than exploiting developers for private information and using inapplicable law as a sort of defacto shield against trouble with their government. It only diminishes their reputation and perceived trustworthiness in the eyes of customers, many of whom are making or influencing the purchasing decisions for large foreign or multinational organizations.

This is just another symptom of the US slide towards isolationism. External competitive pressures are increasing every year and many American institutions, both in government and private sector, are seeking to restrict the trade of goods and ideas as a band aid to fix the problem. The terrorist attacks of 2001 merely provided the powers that be the excuse they needed to push isolationism further down the throats of the American people.

Anyone who has been paying attention to China in the last ten years will have a very good idea of where this type of policy is going to lead the US economy. The sickest part is how China uses it's excess foreign currency to buy American debt instruments, thereby encouraging low interest rates in the US so that the American people can buy more Chinese goods at Wal-Mart. We may soon see the last remaining super power of the previous century decline into obscurity. Another decade will tell us for sure.

Ahem. Sorry about that. Slightly off topic. :)

Breeno