Does anyone have a good way of taking streams from the web (like music streams) and record them to whatever format, specifically .ogg or .mp3? I first tried to use Mplayer and "dd if=/dev/sound of=/var/audio.raw" like in the FAQ, but it kept saying that the audio device was busy.

I then looked around on google and found something promising. It is called "shstream" (http://shstream.sourceforge.net/). Basically, it is a shell script that downloads the stream using Mplayer, then takes the file and converts it. While the script appears sound, it is over 2 years old, and while it creates the "incomplete" directory, and the pipe file, but will not create the .mp3. Mplayer is not even started, as when I am running "top", Mplayer never appears.

I found Streamripper as well, but the audio feeds are .asf. Mplayer plays them just fine, but it would appear Streamripper can't.

If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate hearing them.

Bryan