Sorry, a little more detail. Pf is not running on any of these ftpd servers.

My ftpd setup consist mainly of:

/etc/rc.conf.local  = ftpd_flags="-DllUSAn"
/etc/ftpusers = has the admin account in there
/etc/ftpchroot = the account that will receive the scans
/etc/shells = /usr/bin/false
the account that receives the scans has the false shell

This is the setup for all the ftpd server I have for both 3.9 and 3.8. For both versions, the rest of the server is pretty much default.