I may be beat up for asking this question, but I'll endure it if it leads to an answer.

In the past, I've setup OpenBSD 3.8 ftpd servers that my users access using Microsoft web folders. Everything works fine. A user double clicks on the web folder and the contents of the ftp folder pops up right away. Microsoft web folders is a way of creating a folder to access an ftp server but make it look like a regular Windows explorer folder. It is available by default in Microsoft 2000 and XP.

Now I've installed a couple of OpenBSD 3.9 ftpd servers which are configure exactly like the OpenBSD 3.8 servers. But when a user double-clicks on a web folder, a error message pops up saying that login failed. At this point I click "login as" and click the "okay" button because the username and password is saved already (this is on the client-side). This results in a successful login.

So my question is, has there been a change in OpenBSD 3.9 from 3.8 that caused ftp authentication that worked fine in 3.8 to not work in 3.9?

Why am I doing this setup? Our company buys big copier machines that have scanning capabilities. In order to use the scanning capabilities, the copier needs to send the scans to a server. I can setup a Microsoft file server or I can setup a OpenBSD ftp server. So for maintenance, security, cost and licensing administration reasons, I chose the OpenBSD ftp server option.