On Sun, Nov 05, 2006 at 05:27:05PM -0500, Kyle George wrote:
> Actually, what I should have said was uncomment the ddb.console=1 line in
> sysctl.conf.  That's where it should go.  It will work in either place
> though.

Yeah that's what I did. :-)  Unfortunately the machine crashed again
tonight while I was using it, and the ddb.console key sequence didn't
work, because the keyboard was totally dead.

I had just started up xpdf, and it was taking forever to load the file
(lots of graphics on this PDF) when I realized after a couple minutes
that this time it wasn't going to finish loading...  Ever since 3.9 was
released I've been throttling the CPU with hw.setperf=0, because I don't
mind a slightly slower system.  I've loaded much crazier PDFs than this
one before in previous releases, and although sometimes they can take a
while to load, the machine never crashed like this.  At most the xpdf
process crashes and tells me it ran out of memory. :-)  That's fine
though and my ulimits are sane, considering that the machine has lots of
RAM (and hardly ever hits swap):

time(cpu-seconds)    unlimited
file(blocks)         unlimited
coredump(blocks)     0
data(kbytes)         131072
stack(kbytes)        4096
lockedmem(kbytes)    146377
memory(kbytes)       437376
nofiles(descriptors) 128
processes            64

Since hotplugd was running, I tried to plug in a USB disk, in order to
see if anything was alive still.  The little LED on the flash disk
didn't turn on...  I then plugged my Linksys WPC11 into the cardbus
slot, and it stayed dead too.  It seemed like the machine was really
locked up hard.

Is there any way to troubleshoot this further in this kind of situation?
I don't think it's the hardware, because I'm subjecting the machine to
the same stress levels as always, and it started acting strange the next
morning after the 3.9 -> 4.0 upgrade.