On Tuesday 09 January 2007 08:37, Gustavo Rios wrote:
> Is it possible to build jdk;java directly from openbsd: I always
> believed i had to "install" linux emulation first.
>
> Thanks for the clarifications.

Hi Gustavo,

For building 1.4, you need the 1.3-linux port installed. The latter
requires the kern.emul.linux sysctrl enabled in kernel as well as the
redhat base port (6.2 or better). For building 1.5, you need to have
1.4 installed. -The typical Sun chicken and egg problem.

The port dependencies are changing for the next release. According to
what I read on ports@, if you follow -CURRENT, there have been some
recent changes to the 1.5 jdk port which uses a different/lightweight
jvm to prevent the Sun chicken-egg (and linux) problems.

Most of all, do not get your hopes up. Even if you only want to "use"
java applications, the odds of them working correctly is not very good
in spite of the supposed "run anywhere" crap that Sun states.

The painfully sad truth is if you're doing any serious development and
testing in Java, you have to debug everywhere and you normally need to
have ton of jre/jdk installations on each of your supported OS/hardware
combinations. You really do need multiple systems as well as multiple
installations of java on each system; versions, subversions and
sub-subversion (1.4-01, 1.4-02, 1.4-03 and so on as well as 1.5-01,
1.5-02 ... ad infinitum). It's a major pain in the ass. I truly hate it
and I won't touch java unless someone is paying me really well to deal
with such headaches.

Sun doesn't actually fix java bugs, instead they just move the bugs
around so you never know where they are hiding. ;-)

kind regards,
jcr