John wrote:
And, as far as getting the obsd box to talk to the modem was concerned,
that's it! There is other stuff involved in getting the box to talk to
the lan and v/v. I found it useful getting just the box to work with the
modem, it's not clear in your message if that is also your situation.

Thanks for trying to help, John. I'm able to get the OpenBSD machine to talk to the cable-modem box. Almost everything works fine.

The only problem is this repeated log message every fifteen minutes:

Feb 3 15:13:58 rock /bsd: arplookup: unable to enter address for 24.aaa.bbb.ccc

(24.aaa.bbb.ccc is the WAN address of the cable-modem box.)

I don't know if this is serious. If it is, I'd like to solve it; if not, I'd like to turn it off.