Vijay Sankar wrote:
Possibly a silly question -- how are you connecting the cable modem to your OpenBSD server's external interface? Are they all plugged into a switch or hub or are you using a cable from the external interface directly to the cable modem?

The external NIC connects directly to the cable modem.

The internal NIC connects to a D-Link switch, and the inside machines
(on the LAN, behind the OpenBSD box) also connect to the same switch.

PS: I notice that when I reply-all to Vijay, Darren's and John's email
    addresses also show up.  What's the etiquette here?  Should I reply
    to just Vijay and misc, or to everyone whose address is included?
    Or will the list-manager automatically figure it out?  Thanks.

The setup right now:
WAN <-->
   (WAN 24.aaa.bbb.ccc) SBG1000 cable-modem (LAN 192.168.0.1) <-->
     (dc0: 192.168.0.10) OpenBSD ("rock") (fxp0: 192.168.1.11) <-->
       other machines, phone, etc.

I hope the diagram above is clear.  Basically, the WAN talks to the
SBG1000, which talks to the OpenBSD box, which talks to the inside
machines.  The two IPs on each box show inward and outward addresses.