In epistula a Manuel Ravasio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> die horaque Mon,
19 Mar 2007 07:47:46 -0700 (PDT):

> Really?
> I have a completely different experience: I never managed to
> completely loose a filesystem, except by on OpenBSD...
>
> I've been using slackware linux on reiserfs and xfs for many years
> now, on my home PCs and company laptop (so, no real production
> environment) and I'm happy with both their speed and reliability. I
> caused many crashes, mostly by suddenly turning the PCs off in the
> middle of data transfer and I never lost a single file.
> Recently I decided to give OpenBSD a try, just to taste something
> different, and I'm really enthusiastic about it as
> firewall/proxy/DNS/DHCP server as well as desktop environment for my
> laptop. I really love the solidity and internal coherence of the
> system, its ease of management and the general impression of "good,
> old, solid computing for real men" that most current linux
> distributions completely lack (that's why I stick to slackware :-) ).
>
> The only shortcomings I found up to now are FFS fragility with
> respect to sudden poweroffs (I've already lost root filesystem twice,
> beyond fsck recovery capabilities, so I had to reinstall/restore from
> scratch), and a general sluggishness of X11 lacking DRI support.
>
> Probably it all depends on my lack of experience, so maybe my boxes
> are far from perfectly tuned up; I hope that spending more and more
> time tampering with OpenBSD and following this mailing list, I will
> eventually get proficient enough to tune up my systems as well as I
> got to do with linux :-) .
>

> Thank you all,
> byee
>
> Manuel

interestingly, i just had an experience at a customer's site i want to
share in this respect:

they use *cough* GNU/Linux *cough*, RHEL. and XFS. XFS is pretty cool.
however, they lost data. but it was not only about 'losing' data, it
was about a hidden data loss. some data was lost, some not. some had
weird ctime, some not. this is surely thanks to the most perfect
implementation of an *opened* FS (here: XFS) by the GNU/Linux guys.
pretty well done. what happened? a server had a backplane crash, an
externally mounted XFS volume was shut down 'unclean'. although it was
not that big (<1TByte), the desaster happened.

in more than ten years of using IRIX (and thusly, XFS) i never lost one
single sucking file.

:)