> Depends on the byte size of the packet.  If most of your throughput is
> standard 1500 byte packets, you should have little to no problem.
>
> If someone starts blasting out 64 byte packets at wire speed though,
> your link will be toast long before traffic ever reaches 100Mbps.

This is exactly what Im worried about but Im not sure if I should be or not.
Because of some of the applications we host, a ton of small packets are
being generated. Heres a breakdown by packetsize.

<= 64 bytes     48.1%
64 to 128 bytes     21.1%
129 to 256 bytes     1.6%
257 to 512 bytes     7.8%
513 to 1024 bytes     5.6%
1025 to 1518 bytes     15.8%

and here is what are pps and bandwidth look like.

queue root_em0 bandwidth 100Mb priority 0 cbq( wrr root ) {ext_root_queue}
  [ pkts:  767614230  bytes: 467721711758  dropped pkts:      0 bytes:
0 ]
  [ qlength:   0/ 50  borrows:      0  suspends:      0 ]
  [ measured:  6448.5 packets/s, 31.21Mb/s ]

Were nearing the 8300pps mark so I was worried? But should I be? Becuase the
majority of my packets are smaller then 64B, shouldn't I be able to pass a
lot more packets then 8300pps? If all my packets were 64K or smaller,
shouldn't that allow me to be able to handle closer to 200k packets/sec
before hitting my bandwidth limit?

by the way. I know where google is. I've been there and have even read some
of the links that are posted in this very thread. However I am confused and
there even seems to be some confusion/discrepancies within this thread... so
I thought I would bounce the question off of people who might have a better
grip on this than I, and already been through similar situations for
feedback, something google cant offer(yet). I am not going to apologize for
my ignorance but thank the people who are actually trying to help me
understand this, without being a smartass about it.