I've seen this before. On old HP gear. Is your HP? Only FreeBSD would run on the system. NetBSD/OpenBSD dead in the water. Some obscure bug when the I/O went up (Symbios SCSI).

One of many reason why I want nothing to do with HP (H-PHUX) ever again.

Anyway, how about underclocking your Duron some? Reset the BIOS timings and power levels to failsafe? The old K7+VIA Chipset boards were a rough crowd.

~BAS