Hi,

I setup the spamd sync feature between two servers running 4.1 and I observe the following issues with the setup itself. Some setup based on the man page do not work for me anyway and some are not always reliable and some always work. See below.

Example
Interface facing the Internet: dc0.
server1.test.com 1.1.1.2
server2.test.com 1.1.1.3

====================
setup in rc.conf.local that always work.
In server 1:
spamd_flags="-y dc0 -Y 1.1.1.3"
In server 2:
spamd_flags="-y dc0 -Y 1.1.1.2"

=====================
Setup that mostly work. Meaning if you reboot, it doesn't always start spamd and as far as I can tell, that's because the name resolutions do not work right away when the query is requested, or something like that. This configuration will not always work and be reliable on reboot of servers. However based on the man page, it should. if you do it on the command line it does. Just reboot doesn't always do it.

In server 1:
spamd_flags="-y dc0 -Y server2.test.com"
In server 2:
spamd_flags="-y dc0 -Y server1.test.com"

======================
Setup that I never been able to get to work. I see the message that said the initial communications between the two servers, but never do I see any sync messages exchanged between the two on the multicast channel. Only the initial helo message, but never any updates.

In server 1:
spamd_flags="-y dc0 -Y dc0"
In server 2:
spamd_flags="-y dc0 -Y dc0"

========================
Setup that I never got to work at all. Not even the initial help message at all.

In server 1:
spamd_flags="-y server1.test.com -Y server1.test.com -Y server2.test.com"
In server 2:
spamd_flags="-y server2.test.com -Y server1.test.com -Y server2.test.com"

In theory the man page said that you should be able to do this.

I get:
spamd: sync init: Device not configured

I am still puzzle as to why it also should send the updates to itself here. Meaning -Y server2.test.com when it's configure on server2? It's the one sending the updates, so it already know what it is sending.

Anyway, that's what I got.

Now in the final setup, I do see the sync messages in the first configuration above, but it's still not clear to me how I can see the results in the /var/db/spamd file, or may be in the pf table spamd-white. I try to add some address to see with

spamdb -a 1.2.3.4 on one side and expected it to be added on the second server, but never see it in the spamdb. I don't see it in the pf table spamd-white either. Isn't it suppose to be there some how? Or may be I need to add something in the pf configuration to log it to the spamd-white table when the updates are coming in. That might be it, but the man page say nothing about that.

Am I forgetting something here.

All this is with brand new 4.1 install.

Thanks

Daniel