On Friday 14 September 2007 06:15, you wrote:
> Marco Peereboom wrote:
> > I installed FreeBSD once in my life.  Took me 3 tries and I am sure some
> > kittens were murdered in the process.  I am also pretty sure I wept at
> > some point.  Honestly I can't remember a much worse installer; maybe SCO
> > OpenServer but not by much.
>
> I second that! If FreeBSD is the OP's model for positive software
> evolution, then I am glad that OpenBSD has left the 'archaic' installer
> more or less alone, and concentrated on high quality additions to the
> meat and potatoes of the project, namely the tools and drivers in the OS
> itself.

Just a me too - I first installed OpenBSD on an old 486, and have since put it
on lots of different things. I am a rank amateur and have neither the time
nor the innate ability to become a unix expert.

The OBSD installer, once you've 'got it' (and to get it you only have to read
the instructions) is *excellent* and I've never used better. Installing and
upgrading OBSD (including the completely transformed and beautiful packaging
system) is an absolute model and provides so many ways to cope with so many
unpredictable situations. It is certainly a great deal easier than FreeBSD
IMHO, and while I may have naively and misguidedly thought that it would have
been nicer to have a more graphical approach when I first encountered the
system, I would now hate to see its power, cross-platform solidity and
simplicity changed.

Best
Fergus

--