On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 11:53:50AM +0200, Tonnerre LOMBARD wrote:
> Salut,

> > besides that what do you think amd64 runs? (:
> > it uses the same pae as i386. and it is not any faster.
> > learn what are you talking about...
>
> No, it uses 48-bit addresses and some flag bits, but it can use a 64-bit
> selector rather than two 32-bit ones, improving the performance significantly.

format and amount of data is the same.
it does not matter how many bits are used or not.
it's about how much larger page tables are and how much longer
it takes for the tlb reload.
or what you think loading 36bit physaddr is slower than loading 48bits?
segments have nothing to do w/ page tables and tlb performance.
they will be as much slowdown on pae or non-pae page tables.
get a clue. you are talking about non-related improvements
and might as well compare this to sparc64 tlb performance...

cu

--
    paranoic mickey       (my employers have changed but, the name has remained)