Sorry if this is lengthy, but it gives full background.
I installed a back-up hd (from different computer) into a computer that I haven't used for some time. It had openbsd-4.1 (generic kernel) installed. I booted and the system hung after probing floppy drive.
Last line I see: fd0 at fdc0 drive 0: 1.44MB 80cyl, 2 head, 18 sec
I re-booted and the same thing. I let the system run for 15 minutes to see if it would finish. It didn't I rebooted with 4.2 install cd that I used to install 4.2 on a different computer, and upgraded 4.1 to 4.2. Everything went well till I rebooted and the system hung/froze at the exact same spot. Thinking something was amiss in /etc, I rebooted with cd, and did a fresh install after deleting / and swap partition. Installation went smooth, and then I rebooted. 4.2 (Generic) hung/froze at the same line again. I rebooted and disabled usb in cmos to see if that would correct the problem. It didn't. Re-booting again, I booted with bsd.rd and the system booted fine. At the prompt, I selected "s", mounted my wd0a partition and a linux partition, copied the "messages" and "dmesg.boot" files to the linux partition.
Those files are both about 17k and I can add them if helpful.
This system I am trying to use is a Ali motherboard, 900mhz athlon, 512 megs ram and 512 megs swap.
I tried searching for an answer but didn't see anything quite like this.

Which file would be helpful? I can add either file or both, but again, they are 17k

Thanks.

btw- there was no disk activity, keyboard wasn't responsive. Nothing worked but reset button even after sitting for 30 minutes on last try before using bsd.rd