Jan Stary wrote:
On Nov 05 16:24:53, Michael wrote:
I installed a back-up hd (from different computer) into a computer that I haven't used for some time. It had openbsd-4.1 (generic kernel)
installed.

I assume that the drive you just inserted is the only one in that
box, and you are booting from this drive. Please confirm, or give
some description of what drives are in the box and which one you are
booting from.

I booted and the system hung after probing floppy drive. Last line
I see: fd0 at fdc0 drive 0: 1.44MB 80cyl, 2 head, 18 sec I re-booted
and the same thing. I let the system run for 15 minutes to see if it
would finish. It didn't I rebooted with 4.2 install cd that I used to
install 4.2 on a different computer, and upgraded 4.1 to 4.2.
Everything went well till I rebooted and the system hung/froze at the exact same spot. Thinking something was amiss in /etc, I rebooted with cd, and did a fresh install after deleting / and swap partition. Installation went smooth, and then I rebooted. 4.2 (Generic)
hung/froze at the same line again. I rebooted and disabled usb in cmos
to see if that would correct the problem. It didn't.

Why would it? It's fdc that is making it freeze, not USB.
Disable fdc in the kernel via UKC:

boot -c
disable fdc*
boot

Re-booting again, I booted with bsd.rd and the system booted fine. At
the prompt, I selected "s", mounted my wd0a partition and a linux partition, copied the "messages" and "dmesg.boot" files to the linux partition.

What linux partition?

Which file would be helpful?  I can add either file or both, but
again, they are 17k

Do a clean install of 4.2, and save the output
of dmesg just before you halt-and-reboot (obviously,
save it somewhere outside the box.)

Then halt-and-reboot, see if it hangs. If it does not,
save the complete dmesg again. If it does, try disabling
fdc as shown above; if it boots now, save the dmesg
(and make the change to your kernel permanent via config(8)).

Then study the difference between the two dmesg's carefully,
and send both dmesg's to the list.

        Jan

Ok, just tried rebooting with your suggestion of:

boot -c
disable fdc*
boot

Actually, I had to "quit" instead of "boot"

It stopped at the same place: fd0 at fdc0 drive 0: 1.44MB 80cyl, 2 head, 18 sec
Perhaps I should say that is the last line visible. This box is just a home pc on a single hd, 1 primary partition for openbsd and 3 logical partitions for linux. It is not a server to/for anything. This one is just for home stuff connected to internet on cable.

I will try another fresh install and save the dmesg after installation and
after rebooting (if successful).

Thanks again.