> If OpenBSD could spin off the ports system (perhaps people could put
    > it on the Pirate Bay), and break off connection with it, then it would
    > cease to convey any message from OpenBSD to the users.  Then I could
    > recommend OpenBSD while not recommending its ports system.  Currently,
    > that option does not exist.

    That option does exist. Ports tree is not installed by default. Users
    are not required to install the ports tree. When installing software,
    the ports tree is viewed as a last resort by both users and developers
    of OpenBSD. So if you refer someone to use OpenBSD, and tell them not
    to use the ports tree, they'll do just fine without using it.

When speaking privately to someone I know is not likely to install
non-free software, that is true.  I can say to him, "You could use
OpenBSD, as long as you take care, if you use the ports system, to
check that the programs you install are free."

When speaking to the public, that is not a real option; if I tried to
do that, it would get simplified in transmission down to "Use
OpenBSD", and that would lead people to use OpenBSD including the
ports system.

It's much like the situation for Debian.  When speaking privately to
someone who is not likely to install non-free software, I can
recommend the official Debian GNU/Linux system and warn him to avoid
the nonfree section which is also on the Debian servers.  But if I
said that to the public, it would get simplified in transmission down
to recommending everything on Debian's servers.  Thus, I don't
recommend Debian.