This philosophy disturbs me, and reminds me of the rationale for
    censorship in dictatorships and police states. Admitting the
    existence of something.... even referencing it.... does not give it
    legitimacy. Should we remove any reference to nazi germany from our
    history books in order to avoid legitimizing the nazi point of view?

They're not the same kind of question.  Talking non-free software as a
phenomenon is different from telling people about specific non-free programs
they might want to use.

Having recipes for non-free programs in the ports system is more like
including present-day neofascist web sites in the list of "interesting
links" in your web site.  I am against censorship, so I do not believe
in closing down those neofascist web sites.  But I won't refer people
to them.