On Thu, Dec 27, 2007 at 08:42:08AM -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     Per that interview you are endorsing an OS that basically won't run
>     without proprietary drivers.
>
> I did not know that.  Can you send me a URL for the precise details?
> Once I know the details, I will ask them to post a correction in the
> interview.

I sure can.

Code you wont ever get:
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/about/no_source/

The binary license restrictions are described at:
http://opensolaris.org/os/about/faq/binary_licensing_faq/
Let me try to recap it for you though.  You can't take a blob from
solaris and use it on linux for example.  Not very free.

More pieces of the os that are licensed "odd" at best:
http://opensolaris.org/os/downloads/on/

Not free development environment that is REQUIRED to compile Solaris.
http://opensolaris.org/os/downloads/devpro/

>     The CDDL clashes with the GPL; or can you explain why suddenly CDDL is
>     GPL compatible?
>
> The CDDL is not GPL-compatible, but it is a free software license.
> The source code of OpenSolaris is indeed free software, just as the
> source code for OpenBSD is free software.  If your information is
> correct, OpenSolaris has a serious problem, and should not be endorsed,
> Those are two different questions.

The CDDL has a patent provision that is not GPL compatible.  Sun
reserves the right to call something you do a patent infringement and
revoke your license.  It is quite an interesting read.

They also retain all patent rights so if you write code that makes their
patented code better they get to claim all IP rights.

The license is a mess; kind of like the GPL.  It is full of legal
pitfalls that are you know, not so free.

Have a read:
http://opensolaris.org/os/licensing/cddllicense.txt