Hello Richard,

After reading this thread, I was interested to see what your list
recommendation really was, because I have never actually seen it!! So
I headed over fsf.org which leads me to this page when trying to find
out your list of recommended OS list:

http://www.gnu.org/links/links.html

Is that the list there?

My guess is that if you were to endorse OpenBSD you would have put a
link under "Other free operating systems"... under which, there were 2
interesting systems: GNU/Darwin, based off Apple's userland and
kernel, and ReactOS, designed specifically to run MS software.

So I have looked into them a bit more...

Your main complaint about among the BSD's are that they have a ports
system that can be used to install non-free software. In the case of
OpenBSD, ports system were not even included, OpenBSD merely includes
instruction to install the ports system and how to use it.

This is the same with your recommended system GNU/Darwin:

http://www.gnu-darwin.org/index.php?page=ports

Who also contains instructions to install the such port system.

Considering that your main concern with ports system is that "it may
lead people to install non-free software", well, what about ReactOS,
whose _design goal_ is to _run_ non-free software?

Before you argue that ReactOS is merely a free implementation of Win32
API, let me clarify: if the purpose of ReactOS isn't to run some
Windows-only software S, then what is the purpose of ReactOS? if S was
free, it wouldn't be Windows-only as it would have ported to free
OS's. Remember that the Windows-only software that people are going to
be interested to run are going to be non-free one.

Cheers,
Sun.