On 1/3/08, Marius Hooge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Doug wrote:
>
> >2.     I don't know the size of the disk to know the size of the backup
> >       media required.  However, CD/DVD burners are less than the cost
> >       of a hard drive and the media is relatively cheap.
>
> I personally don't recommend backups to CD/DVD.
> They degenerate rather "quickly" depending on their quality and
> the storage humidity.
> Unlike a USB/Firewire harddisk inside your fire-, water-, emp-proof
> safe/vault. ;-)
> But make shure to set some kind of reminder to update your backup.

this is becoming OT, but I can't recommend storing HDDs as "real"
backup solution either. HDDs _do_ have bitrot, and one should at least,
say, once a year, verify that the *whole* disk is readable, ensuring that
sectors which are not yet completely unreadable get remapped. Vaulting
a DVD or a HDD for five years or more leaves you in both cases with the
real possibility of data loss.

--knitti