On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 10:56:41PM -0500, bofh wrote:
> On Feb 6, 2008 10:45 AM, Douglas A. Tutty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > I don't see external multi-disk IDE boxes.  Besides, PATA is limited to
> > something like 18" from controller to drive.  Even with a PCI
> > controller, there's not much distance.  Also PATA cables aren't
> > shielded.
>

> Why not just an ide?  If all you need is 18G, any old IDE will do.  Must it
> be external?

Well, for example, I have two boxes where I'm using IDE (the third box
is my Athlon with SATA drives).  One won't boot (pass POST) if the drive
is over 1.1 GB, the other won't boot (pass POST) if the drive is over 9
GB.

Since this will be for a low-MHz box, it's BIOS probably won't like
large drives either.  That means SCSI.  If the boxes aren't great or
have room or provide cooling for SCSI drives, that makes it external.

Since future expansion is important, I'd rather have a multi-bay than a
single-bay.  If I'm getting it used off eBay, the cost will be similar;
the shipping will cost me.

Doug.