On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 10:31:43AM -0600, Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 February 2008 22:38, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> >Since this will be for a low-MHz box, it's BIOS probably won't like
> >large drives either.  That means SCSI.  If the boxes aren't great or
> >have room or provide cooling for SCSI drives, that makes it external.
>
> Could you use a small IDE boot drive and then have a relatively new IDE
> or SATA controller card with a larger drive plugged into it? That's the
> arrangement i use at home for my file server; the motherboard is too
> old to support large drives but a newer controller handles them just
> fine.
>
> Of course, then you'd have to worry about the radiation output of that
> controller card...

Right.  IDE is probably OK but SATA has too hight a freq.

Its also multi-factorial.  Most boxes that take IDE (e.g. home boxes)
with slow CPUs would have been designed for small, slow-RPM hard drives.
New IDE drives are faster-RPM and run hotter.  The boxes probably can't
keep them cool enough for reliability.  If I then start cutting holes in
the box to improve cooling, there goes EMF shielding.

Doug.