On 3/23/2008 4:57 PM, Jacob Meuser wrote:
On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 12:31:31PM -0700, Predrag Punosevac wrote:

Moreover it is also hard to justify time
spend in hacking those things if there is relatively inexpensive hardware solution (video input devices supported by bktr can be bought for about $150 now vs a good USB camera is probably at least $50).

heh.  check the second-hand store for bktr/bktr compatible hardware.

of course, a camcorder is much more bulky than a USB camera ...

I hope somebody who knows more about this issue put the end to this pointless discussion.

I think you've covered the bases pretty well.  although, if someone
does come up with a good, clean driver, who knows ...

I played once with my bktr device and had success repeatedly capturing still images and serving them on a web server.

You should be able to find wired or wireless cams with composite output for fairly cheap (quality probably reflects price). Eg ebay item 170204183053 is a wired cam for $11 or item 130207574995 which is a wireless cam for $40 (quite similar to what I used while playing around). So there is no need for a bulky camcorder but it's still an option and you might get better image quality.

In case there is interest the dmesg excerpt:

  bktr0 at pci0 dev 12 function 0 "Brooktree BT848" rev 0x11: irq 5
  bktr0: Intel Smart Video III/VideoLogic Captivator PCI, <no> tuner.

and a starting point to recreate my setup:

  #! /bin/sh
  while true; do
    bktr2jpeg -f cap.jpg -s 0 -w 640 -h 480 -q 100
    sleep 5
  done

Good luck,
  Claus