Sure, I wasn't really thinking of bktr, which as I understand is a
video capture card and as such has onboard electronics for image
processing. Evidently, this in combo with a normal cam is the best in
terms of resolution/low cpu load.

I was aiming more for the post comparing 40$ usb webcam/100$ ip webcam
and the original poster wanting simple surveillance. Ok, if you have a
project where you need a 100 of the little buggers, you can probably
find a decent one at an ok price and write a driver. For a one-off,
the stuff that retails at 20$ in your local store is most probably a
piece of crap. So IMO an ip cam and push/pull to your box makes more
sense, and basically you do not want to do audio/video over the usb
bus, ever.

mike