On Sep 1, 2008, at 11:44 AM, Khalid Schofield wrote:

Hi,
I'm running openbsd 4.0 (yeh old I know but it's a vital system that I'm replacing but it processes data that makes a lot of money).

Better replace the disk tomorrow, then. Or, implement the software on a new system, and take the hit on some downtime while it's being replaced.

Those are signs of odd errors on the physical media itself. OpenBSD can (and may) crash due to bad sectors and failed writes. I did allow a system to limp along on a bad drive for nearly a year while I tried to source a very old (no longer available) drive.