On 2008-09-02, Khalid Schofield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If I want to clone the disk can I just cat /dev/sd0 > /dev/sd1 if I
> boot off the install cd?

dd if=/dev/rsd0c of=/dev/rsd1c

This will limit you to the size of the smaller drive.
It is better to (fdisk)/disklabel/newfs/mount partitions
on the new drive, then you can do things like

"cd /newdrive; dump -0uf - / | restore rf -"
"cd /newdrive/usr; dump -0uf - /usr | restore rf -"

etc.

> Last night I connected a USB disk and tried to use dump to clone /dev/
> rwd0a but it was only dumping the first 4Gb's which was irritating to
> put it mildly. I used dump -0auf /usb/root.dump /dev/rwd0a
>
> I also tried  dump -0auB 4198400 -f /usb/root.dump /dev/rwd0a  and
> still it bombs out asking for the next media to be inserted after 4gb's.

See mount_msdos(8) CAVEATS, then reformat it with FFS.